Charles Stanley notes:
An attitude that says,’I go to God whenever I need to make decisions,’ is a wise mindset. God will always tell you the best decision, but first there are some things we need to do.
1. Clear your heart of any known sin. It confuses us to hear God’s answer. Ask Him to show you the truth. Confess any sin because sin clouds and betrays the mind.
2. Bring your desires to a position of neutrality. Give the desire to Him and desire exactly only what He wants and knows is best. Lord, what is Your Will? This is what I want!
3. Exercise Patience! Continue in prayer because He is getting us ready for the answer and teaching us patience. Refuse to run ahead of God’s actions. Live in expectant confidence of His answer because He knows precisely when we are ready.
4. Be alert to pressure: External–from people, even dearest family and friends; Internal–fear, anxiety, and doubt.
5. Be persistent in prayer, even when answers don’t come. HE IS TEACHING US TO TRUST HIM, when we don’t have any other way. His delays have a Divine Purpose, so we learn to WAIT, to LISTEN, to PRAY, to STAY UNTIL HE TELLS US WHAT TO DO.
6. Rest in God’s Promise. Get into the Word! It filters what we think and hear in the world.
7. Wait for His PEACE. Tell Him that we are bound together in this decision. Let the Peace of God rule in your heart. ” PSALM 25:4-7,12 “Show me the path where I should go, O Lord; point out the right road for me to walk. Lead me; teach me, for you are the God who gives me Salvation. I have no hope except in You. Overlook my youthful sins, O Lord! Look at me instead through eyes of mercy and forgiveness, through eyes of everlasting love and kindness. ”
“Where is the man who fears the Lord? God will teach him how to choose the best.”
We have been given instructions